As we're living in Seattle now, we have decided to explore the local music scene (OK, this is mostly just me, with the sometimes enthusiastic, sometimes reluctant support of Michael). The internet makes sampling music tremendously easy now; instead of just reading a review, I can download music and listen before deciding what to buy or get tickets for. And I have definitely found some great stuff! Early in the summer I stumbled across a local Seattle band called "Slender Means." We love their music, and listen to it often enough that Sydney can sing along. Check it out:
www.myspace.com/slendermeans
I have no idea why these guys haven't made it big, but I hope they don't before I get a chance to see them on a small stage for $6 at least once. In June, they did not have any information posted as to their upcoming concerts, so I posted a question on their website. I got an email back the next day from the lead singer-- how fun is that?
Along the way, I've also "discovered" a couple of not-so-unknown names that we really like. Brandi Carlile (www.brandicarlile.com) is one of those; I was in for quite a shock when I found out that she was coming to town and tried to get tickets. She is playing at the Paramount Theater, a biggish theater downtown. When I tried to buy tickets, a week after they had gone on sale, I could only get seats in the last row of the 3rd balcony! OK, I guess I can't say I discovered her. But we still really like her music, so on a total whim I bought tickets to her concert in Bellingham, WA, which is about an hour-and-a-half drive north of Redmond. By calling the theater directly, I was able to get seats in the 9th row of the main floor, and they were cheaper than the Seattle tickets. Definitely worth the extra drive. (At least I think so now.)
The problem with my new live music infatuation? I'm not sure we're cool enough for this anymore! Most local bands get playtime on weeknights at downtown clubs, which means that we have to get a weeknight babysitter and stay out 'till past midnight (*gasp*) on a school night! Even Brandi Carlile is playing on a weeknight, since we are going to see her at an off-prime venue. So between now and October 30th, I'm going to have to get in good enough with one of our neighbors to ask them to take care of the kids until past midnight on a Tuesday. (I don't think I can reasonably expect a 16 year-old to get permission to do it.)
One of my recent finds was a UK-based band currently touring the west coast, named Back Door Slam. They have a kind of updated classic rock sound. Does that even make sense? I'm not sure. We were supposed to see them a few weeks ago, but Mike caught Sydney's new school cold and instead we stayed home and went to bed early. We are so not 22 anymore.
All in all, I probably calendar 3 shows for every 1 that we will make. But I've decided that's not bad for a 35 year-old with little kids, right?
Monday, September 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment